Sunday, April 25, 2010

On being an American going to Hiroshima


During our Kansai trip, we were scheduled to go to Hiroshima, the peace park and the A-bomb museum.

My first reaction was to be less excited about this part of the trip. After all, compared to a shrine in the water, a temple plated in 20 tons of pure gold, and a floor that makes the noise of a nightingale when you walk across it to protect from enemy ninjas, the sobering and saddening Hiroshima hardly had any appeal.

But on the way there, I decided its really important for me to go there, as an American. To go there and realize what happened, why it happened, what can stop it from happening again. To gloss over Hiroshima is to avoid the vicious nature of humanity, and my country.

Its interesting to have some feeling of guilt from a time before I was born. I wasn't alive yet, so why should I feel guilty? But I do.

Anyway, the museum made me realize that yes, temples and pretty places are important, testaments to the glory of the past which are fun to remember, but remembering the darker shades of history has its place too.

I think the TIU people planned this too. They know its important for Americans to face this part of history they'd just as soon look over. Its important for them too that we do such.

At the end I'm left with peace...peace of mind

No comments:

Post a Comment